Sign Up Today!
Use the menu on the right to view our levels and program information.
Swim Lessons at the Peninsula Community Center are offered by skill level and age. Please take the following steps when registering:
- Read level descriptions below to determine the level of your child.
- Then, click HERE or the “register now” button above to browse our swim school offerings.
- Be sure your child meets ALL prerequisites for the level you choose.
- Once you find classes that work with your schedule, click “sign up” and login to your account. If the class says “please call,” it means the class is full. Please select another class or email [email protected] to be put on the wait list.
- If you do not have an account with our registration portal, check to see if you are already in the system by providing your first name, last name, and email. If you are not in the system, follow the instructions to create an account.
If you are a current PCC member and cannot find your account, please email [email protected] before creating a new account.
- Be sure you select the correct age category for your child. A: Preschool Aged, 3-5 years old; B: School Aged, 6-12 years old. If the child is ineligible for a class because of their age, they will not display in your selection menu.
- Select the child(ren) you would like to enroll and add the class(es) to your cart.
- When you have finished adding all your desired classes, check out online.
- You will receive a confirmation email after registering
- Please feel free to email us for all swim school needs at [email protected]
- We recommend your child remains in each level for at least two sessions in order to develop and master each skill taught at the particular level.
- Instructors will inform you each day on your child’s progress at the end of the lesson and let you know when your child is ready for the next level.
- When your child is ready for the next level, you can sign them up or transfer them from an existing class to the next level by emailing our Swim School Registration Coordinator, Laura, at [email protected]
- If you can not find the class or time you are looking for, or have trouble registering, please contact our Swim School Registration Coordinator, Laura, at [email protected]
2017 Spring Swim School Program
Our Spring Lesson Program consists of two, two-week sessions. Each session consists of 4 lessons (2 per week) held on Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. Classes are 25 minutes in length, with a 1:2 instructor to student ratio. We do not offer make-up lessons.
Because of the limited availability of each level, there is no A/B age category. All Spring classes are for ages 3-12.
Spring Session 1: May 15-25
Spring Session 2: May 30-June 8
2017 Summer Swim School Program
Our Summer Lesson Program consists of ten, four-day sessions held Monday-Thursday. Classes are 25 minutes in length, with a 1:2 instructor to student ratio. We do not offer make-up lessons.
Summer Session 1: June 12-15
Summer Session 2: June 19-22
Summer Session 3: June 26-29
Summer Session 4: July 3-6 *No Class on the 4th
Summer Session 5: July 10-15
Summer Session 6: July 17-20
Summer Session 7: July 24-27
Summer Session 8: July 31-August 3
Summer Session 9: August 7-10
Summer Session 10: August 14-17
There is no previous swimming experience required for this level. Children will be “buddied” with a kind, patient, trustworthy instructor who will help them become comfortable in the water. We recommend this class for any child is still fearful in the water. This class introduces/teaches the following:
- Floating on back and stomach with assistance
- Learning to blow bubbles in the water (no longer swallowing water)
- Efficient kicking with assistance
- Wall crawl
- Learning to listen and trust the instructor; no longer crying
- Learning to submerge with assistance
- Jump to the instructor
Children in this class will begin learning independence in the water. Children will learn proper body position, floating and basic water safety skills. This session also introduces foundational skills such as efficient and independent kicking. Prerequisites for this class are skills taught in the Bubble Buddies Class. Please do not register your child for this class if they have not yet mastered all the skills in the Bubble Buddies class. Children will learn the following in this class:
- Unassisted back and front float
- Unassisted gliding on stomach
- Front to back rollover with assistance
- Independent kicking with streamline
- Treading water 5-10 seconds without assistance
- Jump into water and return to wall unassisted
Children will continue to learn how to efficiently and independently move themselves through the water with proper kicking, while also being introduced to crawl arm strokes and elementary backstroke. Prerequisites for this class are skills taught in the Starfish class. Please do not register your child for this class if they have not yet mastered all the skills in the Starfish class. Children will learn the following in this class:
- Efficient straight leg flutter kick
- Independent streamline with kicking (face in the water)
- Unassisted rollovers
- Submerge and touch the 5ft. bottom of the pool
- Tread water 10-20 seconds without assistance
- Elementary backstroke
- 5-10 crawl strokes with ability to roll onto back for air without assistance
- Introduction to basic backstroke
- Sitting dive
In this class children will continue to develop and strengthen their crawl stroke, side breathing, backstroke, kicking, and water safety skills while being introduced to butterfly and breaststroke. Prerequisites for this class are skills taught in the Crab class. Please do not register your child for this class if they have not yet mastered all the skills in the Crab class. Children will learn the following in this class:
- Proficient crawl stroke with side breathing the length of the pool
- Proficient backstroke
- Treading water 20 seconds or longer
- Breaststroke kick
- Dolphin kick
- Kneeling dive
Swimmers learn and review the mechanic of all four competitive racing strokes while fine-tuning their water safety skills. Prerequisites for this class are skills taught in the Crocodile class. Please do not register your child for this class if they have not yet mastered all the skills in the Crocodile class. Children will learn the following in this class:
- Proficient crawl stroke with side breathing the length of the pool
- Proficient backstroke the length of the pool
- Basic breaststroke
- Basic butterfly
- Standing dive
Swimmers prepare for swim team by refining efficiency of all four competitive strokes while learning additional terminology and skills necessary for swim team and competition. Prerequisites for this class are skills taught in the Otter class. Please do not register your child for this class if they have not yet mastered all the skills in the Otter class. Children will learn the following in this class:
- Ready position
- Crawl Stroke drills and technique work
- Breaststroke drills and technique work
- Butterfly drills and technique work
- Ready position at wall
- Race start
- Flip turn
- Open turn
Spring and Summer Sessions:
* Spring Session 2 (M/W classes only) and Summer Session 4 prorated for Memorial Day and 4th of July (Members: $67.50/Non-Members: $81)
About PCC Swim School
- The Peninsula Community Center’s Swim School Program is for children of all swimming levels, ages 3-12. For classes for younger children please refer to our Parent and Toddler Swim Class information.
- Our Swim School Program offers uniquely small class sizes with a 2:1 student to instructor ratio in every class.
- Our lessons are designed to help children learn water safety skills and proper swimming technique in a safe, nurturing, and fun environment.
- Our Swim School program is offered in the Spring and Summer, with private lessons being offered year-round.
- While the levels and curriculum remain the same throughout the seasons, the structure varies (please see detailed descriptions of our Spring and Summer Swim School programs).
Curriculum and Philosophy
We derive our curriculum from the theories of swim school pros, such as American Red Cross, Swim America, and Total Immersion, but further enhance it with our own activities, nurturing instructors, and the foundational belief that children will learn more when swimming is FUN!
We help children grow in the following ways:
- Having confidence while in and around water.
- Learning and continuing to advance water safety skills and proper swimming technique.
- Building friendships with other swimmers and devoted, nurturing instructors.
- Enjoying a fun, safe, and pressure-free learning environment.
- Feeling accomplished through consistent and positive encouragement.
Private Swim Lessons
Please see our Private Swim Lessons page for more information about our instructors and cost for private swim lessons.
Our private lessons are for ages 3 years and older and for all levels (beginning, intermediate, and advanced). Each lesson is tailored specifically to the students needs. Private lesson availability is limited and dependent on the time of year, pool space, and instructors available.