Become a Certified Lifeguard!
Obtain your 2-year certification by taking a Lifeguarding course from the American Red Cross at Peninsula Community Center in Redwood City.Register Today!
About the Course
Through videos, group discussion, and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, first aid and CPR/AED, as well as other essential skills.
Successful completion results in a 2-year certification in Lifeguarding that includes first aid and professional-level CPR/AED in one certificate.
This course is a blended learning course, with the first portion of the class online and the second in class and in the water.
The online class portion must be completed before the first day of class on Saturday, April 25, 2020. The online course information will be sent to you from your Certified Trainer by April 1, 2020.
- be at least 15 years old.
- be able to complete 300-yard backstroke or front crawl (continuous)
- be able to tread H2O in the deep end without arms for 2 minutes
- be able to retrieve a brick from the bottom of the deep end and finish a 20-yard swim with the brick.
Course Dates and Times
Participants must complete the online course and attend ALL classes in a course to pass and become certified.
- Saturday, April 25: 8:30am – 6pm
- Sunday, April 26: 8:30am – 6pm
- Saturday, May 16: 8:30am – 6pm
- Sunday, May 17: 8:30am – 6pm
- Peninsula Community Center Members – $280
- Guests – $310
- *There will be no refunds for students who do not pass the course. Refunds will only be processed if the class is canceled due to not meeting the 5 minimum participant criteria.
- Students must bring a suit, water, and writing utensil every day to class.
- Students are required to pass two multiple choice exams and an in-water skill test for certification.
- Maximum of 10 participants per class.
- Must have a minimum of 5 participants for the class to take place.
Email Meredith McLean, Center Aquatics/Fitness Program Director at [email protected]
Be a Center Lifeguard this Summer!
Interested in a Summer Job as a Lifeguard or Swim Instructor at the Center, where we will know and value you by name? We are hiring!