Become a Certified Lifeguard!
Obtain your 2-year certification by taking a Lifeguarding course from the American Red Cross at Peninsula Community Center in Redwood City.Register Today!
About the Course
Lifeguards protect their community by preventing, recognizing, and responding to water-related emergencies. In order to get a job at most facilities, you need to become certified, and most employers look for American Red Cross Certification.
This course is a blended learning course, with the first portion of the class online and the second in class and in the water. The online class portion must be completed before the first day of class on Friday, April 26. The online course will be sent no later than April 11.
- There will be no refunds for students who do not pass the course. However, if participants do not pass the prerequisites at the beginning of the class they will be issued a refund.
- Students must bring a suit, water, and writing utensil every day to class
- Students are required to pass two multiple choice exams and an in-water skill test for certification
- Maximum of 10 participants per class
- Must have a minimum of 4 participants for the class to take place
- Must be at least 15 years old (will be asked to show ID at the beginning of the course)
- 300 yard backstroke or front crawl (continuous)
- 2 minute tread in the deep end without arms
- Timed brick retrieval from the bottom of the deep end and 20 yard swim with brick
Dates and Times
Participants must attend complete online course and attend ALL classes in order to pass.
Friday, April 26: 4-7pm
Saturday, April 27: 10am-5pm
Sunday, April 28: 10am-5pm
Peninsula Community Center Members – $190
Nonmembers – $225
Email April Burket at [email protected].